This document has been produced upon request of an EU/EEA Member State. It suggests criteria to be considered when deciding whether a confirmed COVID-19 case can be safely (i.e. without being infectious) discharged from hospital or released from home isolation.
To address this request, the following working questions were developed:
- What is the duration of SARS-CoV-2 virus shedding in bodily fluids of symptomatic patients after remission of symptoms?
- What is the duration of SARS-CoV-2 virus shedding in bodily fluids of asymptomatic patients?
- Which tests are available to document the lack of infectivity in a previously diagnosed infection?
- What is the longest documented transmission from an asymptomatic person?
- Below ECDC provides a desk review of existing guidance documents and protocols from national and international organisations and a convenient search of peer-reviewed publications.